Friday, November 13, 2009

Still Eating from the Garden

I got a wonderful surprise in my e-mail inbox earlier this week. A local woman wrote to let me know how much she enjoys reading my column in INK magazine and to ask me a few questions. It always makes my day to hear from readers--especially when they're being so complimentary!--so I was very happy to receive that...

But it gets better.

Her questions were about upcoming cooking classes I might be offering, what to do with all the mustard greens in her garden, and... would I like some of them? Would I ever? I love dark leafy greens and was so thankful to be able to accept an abundance of them from her. I made a soup with the mustard greens and some local wild mushrooms and kohlrabi that was a delicious autumn treat. And then I used the arugula, kale, and bok choy for salads, smoothies, and sautees. Such treats for November in New England!

The greens pictured are from her garden... and they taste even better than they look. I feel so lucky to have the kind of life that includes offers of local organic produce from people I've never met! What sorts of random abundance have come your way?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails